Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PSA: Towels and a tutorial.

So I have some little quirks that make me who I am.....
  • When vacuuming, I need all my vacuum lines going the same way, and or as neat as possible, including no feet print in them.
  • My husbands underwear have to be nicely folded and in neat piles, where mine can just be tossed in the drawer with no rhyme or reason.
  • my towels have to be folded nice and neatly and stacked nicely in the linen closet.
This last quirk is what I will be discussing briefly today.


This picture shows the way I used to fold towels vs. the way I fold now...aka...the only way to fold towels properly in my opinion.

Here is the close up, individuals on each style.

If at any point I see the towels unkept in the closet, I will not hesitate to refold them.......it is an OCD habit that will drive me insane.
I can have a messy kitchen, piles of papers, and junk, clothes on my bedroom floor, a whole house in desperate need of attention, but....if I have a mess stack of towels my skin will crawl until it is fixed.
dumb I know.

Typically when the kids fold the towels,the messy stack is how they usually put them in the closet.
Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate the effort made. I appreciate that they took their time to fold them and actually put them away...I get it, they tried.
BUT
and it is a really big BUT....

I have taught them how to do it "right".
I have taught them how to stack them nice and neat.
and when the towels are in my closet looking like this, I know that the effort was half hearted and they didn't take the time to do it nice and neat.
And before you get all up in a tissy, and tell me they are just kids, I have to tell you, if I don't help them strive to do things right, then who will.
It will be my ever living thrill when I have grandchildren one day and my kids come to me and tell me their frustrations on how the kids are not doing things right....I can wait to be a grandmother, but I can't wait for the "payback" satisfaction!
Again, no comment about my messy house....I can have some kind of perfectionism can't I???

So to make sure that when I come over to your house and look in your linen closet I don't get horrified to see messy towels......here is a quick tutorial on how I fold towels the right way.

Step 1: ....lay the towel flat (or if you become a pro you can do this without having ot lay it on the bed, that's how I roll)


Step 2 Fold the towel in half, the long way.


Step 3: Fold it again in half


Step 4 turn the towel long ways


Step 5: Fold the end into the center of the towel (so basically into 3rds)


 Step 6: Fold the other side unto the already folded part.



 This is the finished product.....all nice and neat, ready to be unfolded and used at any time, but while it waits it is cute and put together.


The person to thank for teaching me this OCD habit would have to be my sister - in - law Julie, she taught me how she folded towels almost 7 years ago and then I have never looked back. I hope you use this as your public service announcement and benefit from this newly found knowledge....your linen closet will thank me.

3 comments:

  1. This is how I fold towels and taught my kids to fold them, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this how I fold my towels, but I believe that it's the only correct way to fold towels. Haha! I saw your comment on my blog the other day, and just wanted to say thanks a bunch for your encouraging words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.....dont come to my house or to Moms house....you'll pass out from these linen closets. ;)

    - Chrissy

    ReplyDelete